Tag Archives: the chive
When the owner of this Nissan Skyline GTR decided that he didn’t like the silver color of his car, he had his wife take a sharpie to it. Luckily his wife was a talented artist, and after over 100 hours of work and a layer of clear coat to protect it, he had himself a work of art on wheels.
In my ongoing fascination with art using unusual items, I bring you banana art. Thanks to The Chive for pointing out this great new expressive form. Hopefully you will also find it as a-peel-ing as I do…
“Tattoing a banana entails a sharp-pointed tool grazing the skin of a banana peel, without puncturing through it entirely, to create art. It utilizes a natural process known as oxidation—a browning of the skin that’s exposed to oxygen—to draw. ”
Nathan Shields is a former math teacher and current stay-at-home father of two. He enjoys teaching his young kids something new each day in the most unusual way: making pancakes. Nathan has made everything from sharks to parasites to seashells, and whether it’s truly an effective teaching tool or not let’s just say having a tasty pancake breakfast is never NOT worth the time.
Reposted from the Chive.
Beau Coffron is a dad from SanFrancisco who sends his daughter to the school everyday with exquisite lunch designs that would make any child cry with envy. Even the cafeteria lady has to snap a quick shot when seeing these works of culinary genius come through the lunch doors. Must be nice to have your pick of the liter when it comes to trading for that capri-sun or pizza.
English based artist Simon Beck created these amazing works of art by stomping around French ski resorts with nothing but a pair of snowshoes.
“I made a work of art out of snow in my high school football field once. It was displayed on the news and I got suspended.”
Reposted from repost on The Chive. Enjoy!
OCTOBER 14, 2013
- The Nostromo – Alien
- Rub al Khali Desert – Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
- U.S.S. Enterprise – Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Stay Puff Attack – Ghostbusters
- Metropolis – Superman Returns
- White House – Independence Day
- Rivendell – Lord of the Rings
- Isengard – Lord of the Rings
- Russia – Goldeneye
- Spaceship – Lost In Space
- Sydney, Australia – Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
- Hogwarts – Harry Potter
- T-Rex Attack – Jurassic Park
- Snow Fortress – Inception
- King Kong Abduction – King Kong
- Train scene – Back to the Future: Part III
- Manhattan Island – Escape From New York
- Gotham City – Batman
- Helm’s Deep – Lord of the Rings
- Minas Tirith – Lord of the Rings
- Barad-dûr – Lord of the Rings
- UFO Chase – Independence Day
- Endor Chase – Return of the Jedi
- Rancor – The Return of the Jedi
Some random movie trivia for your amusement. Source: reposted from the Chive who reposted from wtffunfact.com.
For those who don’t know the term, an ‘easter egg’ is something that programmers/artists put into code or media that are somewhat hidden or hard to find, but meant to be fun. Disney studios got into trouble when it was found that in every Disney video, the artists put in an inappropriate frame. The human eye cannot see the frame unless you put the video on frame by frame slow motion. It is kind of an inside joke, fun thing. This reached the public awareness when it was noticed that not so well hidden on the cover of the Little Mermaid video was a phallic symbol disguised poorly as a castle tower.
For gamers, often you have to reach certain achievements or do certain things in the game to ‘unlock’ an easter egg. Sometimes, they are put in out of the way places or simply in plain site. Here is a collection made of some Easter Eggs in the newest Grand Theft Auto version – number 5. Enjoy!
OCTOBER 10, 2013
- Did you spot the frozen alien in the ice during the first mission?
- It’s the first of many alien references in the game. Someone else found a spaceship on top of Mount Chiliad.
- Another was found one while skydiving out of a plane.
- If you’re not near it, the UFO will start to disappear.
- We broke into the Playboy mansion in the Vinewood hills.
- At night, the entire place is lit up, a bunch of girls come out …
- … and there’s a cool cavern you can go inside.
- You’ll find a zombie near the Walk of Fame in Vinewood. Don’t worry. He won’t eat you.
- Others have found a cannibal cult that let’s you give them people in exchange for money.
- For any fans of ABC’s “Lost,” the guys at Ready Up Live found the Hatch from the series off the east coast of Los Santos.
- Someone else found a ghost on top of Mount Gordon that appears there for one hour.
- Up for more paranormal activity? Big foot — who has popped up in previous installments of the franchise — can be found during the “Predator” mission.
- A hippie named Jesse — who many are comparing to Jesus — is waiting to hang out on the Los Santos Del Perro Pier.
- Head to downtown Los Santos and you can find a mime who will start putting on a show once you approach him.
- After riding the cable car up to the top of Mount Chiliad, we found this cryptic inscription on a wall.
Obviously, it has to do with the aliens found throughout the game. Looks like in addition to UFOs, we can gain access to a dinosaur(?), and a jetpack (sweet).
- You can find a pink dinosaur outside of Rex’s Diner in Sandy Shores.
- See this giant orange on top of a juice stand?
- You can knock it off the top of the building and send it flying down the mountainside. It’s located in the center of the map.
- Fans of “No Country for Old Men”? There’s a scene laid out in the mountains that’s very similar to the movie (no spoilers).
- Head a little farther down the mountain and you’ll find a few more men and a briefcase. Grab the case and get $25,000 in easy money.
- Miss San Andreas from GTA IV? You can head back to the neighborhood of the former protagonist CJ.
- There are a few drawings on Mt. Chiliad. One player found a face thinking it’s Aaron Paul from “Breaking Bad.”
- Off the Northwest coast, someone found the remains of what appear to be a sea monster.
- There are a bunch of custom clothes you can buy in the game for your player. Among them is a nod to Ryan Gosling’s jacket from “Drive.”
- At Sandy Shores, you can find a “Star Trek” reference “Beam Me Up” spray painted on a wall of the giant alien skate park.
- Want to find Halo’s Master Chief and Superman in the game? Head over to Lester’s house and he has toy replicas of the two — along with a few others — sitting on a shelf.